Friday 15 August 2014

Augmented reality.



This QR code allows the reader to unlock the story's augmented reality.
One of the standouts for me during this BWF has been the explanation of augmented reality, and the acknowledgement of it as an art form and a legitimate literary tool. The Writing Revolution was a really insightful, fun panel to attend. Sophie Masson spoke about the use of blogs in her gothic romance series, and how they allow readers to experience the world she's built and the characters she's created through a free, easily accessible medium. I think the idea of augmented reality is more easily marketed to YA audiences; the teenagers of today's world are constantly online. Most people have a smartphone glued to their hand as they navigate their lives. These special little extras have been around forever in film and television, and are referred to as 'easter eggs'; hidden gems waiting to be uncovered by an enthusiastic reader. I really liked the idea of Sophie's blogs. They're not critical in understanding the story, but they're a treat for the reader who stumbles across them. I love the idea of being able to continue a story beyond the pages of the book. Once you fall in love with a character it can be hard to let go.

Matt Blackwood (the second speaker during the The Writing Revolution panel) was incredibly passionate about augmented reality. He believes in liberating the eyes. Rather than viewing the text on a page, readers should be able to fully immerse themselves in not only the literature at hand, but also in the place they're set. Many authors believe that total immersion in the text is the mark of a good book, but Matt also argues the importance of the place. I love books that totally immerse me, so Matt's speech definitely made me think about the way I read in a different light. I've always loved that total immersion, and I don't think I've ever read a piece of literature whilst taking note of the place I'm reading it in. There have been signs, obviously; plaques about historical events, but the idea of reading a short story and valuing the place it's set is foreign to me. This is one of the great parts of a writers festival. Sometimes the panels just cement what I already know, but the best ones introduce new ideas and concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment