Saturday 9 August 2014

"They write us."




This year's Bendigo Writers Festival has been really interesting and thought-provoking. I'm writing this blog on the evening of Friday the 8th of August, and officially, for most people, the festival hasn't even started. When I rang up to book my place in the Friday sessions, The Capital's employee sounded puzzled, and kept repeating that Friday was for the school groups – was I sure I wanted to go? I'm glad I made the effort. Sophie Masson was my favourite author of the day. I sat in the front row of each session I chose, and suddenly Sophie would walk in (three times!), and sit down right in front of me. I'm sure I inadvertently looked like a bit of a stalker. It probably didn't help that I had my camera out, and kept click-clicking away. I wasn't expecting to enjoy Sophie Masson so much, but in the The Greatest Writing session she really came alive. She spoke about her childhood literary passions, the importance of children's literature, and the significance of fairytales. She even stated at one point that fairytales are “some of the most profound things ever written”, and she mentioned some of her own books, which are reinventions of fairytales. This was of particular interest to me, as I've read a great deal of reinvented fairytales for young adults. There's a kind of magic to them, and a recognition of sorts. Reading these reinventions feels like bumping into an old friend many years later – you feel that spark of recognition, but there's also something new; they've grown and changed along the way.

I want to finish this blog with a Sophie Masson quote about fairytales, which is that “they are truth from the inside of us.”

1 comment:

  1. We ought to have had 'I <3 Sophie' printed on our tshirts.

    ReplyDelete